I am writing to thank the CC of the CGPI for its call entitled "Defeat the program of privatisation and liberalisation! Fight with the aim of establishing workers' and peasants' rule!" given on the eve of the All India General Strike of February 28, 2012.
In the article that is the background to the call, the following are noted, which I present in bullet form:
* the strike is taking place at the all round deepening of the capitalist crisis,
* all round assault on workers is taking place,
* that the Prime Minister would like to introduce policies that will worsen the conditions of the workers through reform of central laws,
* that there is guarantee of the right to work or security, with numerous examples to prove the points,
* that large part of the work force is not unionized,
* that SEZs abound in which all labour laws are flouted,
* that reform of central laws is to lower benchmarks for worker's rights,
* that workers must put forward their right to work and security as fundamental law,
* that these rights are universal and inviolable,
* that privatization is a growing threat in diverse areas,
* that privatization is part of anti-worker offensive and an attack on society,
* that the working class must demand that all forms of privatization be immediately halted,
* that the Government put in place a viable PDS,
* that the same policies are pursued irrespective of which party is in power,
* that the sovereign power after 1947 never came into the hands of the toiling masses,
* that the existing system deprives the people of any kind of policy making,
* that so-called anti-corruption activities are an eye-wash,
* that a new Constitution that is based on responsibility and accountability is a crying need of the times,
* that there are many diversionary dangers on the path to the recognition for power passing into the hands of the people.
I join the CC of the CGPI in its call for a common set of programmatic demands that will end the economic deprivation of the people.
S. Nair, Kochi