Thank you for the thoughtful and important and thought-provoking article entitled `70 years after the dropping of the atom bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Step up the struggle against imperialism, fascism and war’ in the August 1-15, 2015 issue of MEL. Needless to say, much is known about the human cost of the dropping of the atomic weapons on the civilian targets in 1945 towards the end of World War II. What is less known is the precise conditions under which these bombs were dropped including the fact that Japan was on the verge of surrender even before the bombs were dropped. Indeed, as mentioned in the article, the conditions of surrender were created by the great contribution of the USSR and the peoples of all the countries of east and south-east Asia. Thus the aim of the dropping of these bombs were to test the impact of the atom bomb. The outcome of the bombings were clearly that the US donned the mantle of fascism after the war, and history shows that US imperialism in the period that followed and up to today is involved in crushing the peoples of the world and the nationalities of the world on an unparalleled scale. I also note that the following points have been made in the article which are noteworthy and worth capturing in bullet points.
- That the use of the atom bomb provided legitimacy to the arms race, wherein immeasurable amounts of wealth of countries were poured into development of sophisticated weapons of mass destruction with the perennial threat of nuclear holocaust,
- That US imperialism launched a savage onslaught on sovereignty of nations and peoples and consolidated its hold on Europe and Asia, crushing the revolutionary upsurge in Greece, then set up US bases in Western Europe, occupied Japan, and entered the theatre of war in Vietnam after the defeat of France there, to only be thrown out in 1975,
- That the US and the Soviet Union in the Cold War period fiercely contested one another for spheres of influence, and following the end of the Cold War, continued its fascist and warmongering, not the least of which is the attacks on people of Muslim faith under the pretext of `clash of civlizations,’
- That western powers facilitated the brutal break-up of the Yugoslav Federation, carried out the military occupation of Afghanistan, and then Iraq using all sorts of pretexts, continued harassment of North Korea and Iran,
- That US imperialism has engineered the destabilization of regimes in Egypt, Libya and Syria, and installed a puppet regime in Ukraine, and has imposed sanctions on Russia and created havoc in the region,
- That US imperialism far from being regretful about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki continues to threaten others with atomic weapons.
It is a good time for all peace loving people to reaffirm that US imperialism must be opposed. I second the call of the CGPI to the working class and the people to continue on the path of struggle against imperialism, fascism and war, and the call to step up the struggle against the ruling classes that together with the US bring the world closer to destruction.
A. Narayan, Bangalore