Call for united struggle!
The All India Loco Running Staff Association and All India Guards Council jointly organised a convention and rally on April 7-8, 2013 under the leadership of the Joint Action Committee, to press for their long pending demands. The aim of the joint Convention was to take the struggle forward on the problems faced by the loco drivers and the rail guards.
The joint Convention was organised in Ambedkar Bhavan in Delhi. On the second day, a rally was taken out from Ambedkar Bhavan to Jantar Mantar and a meeting was held there.
Thousands of loco drivers and guards, from all across the country, participated enthusiastically with their families over the two days and demonstrated their unity. A majority of them were young loco drivers and guards. They expressed their anger against the unjust attitude of the railway administration.
The Gangmen (workers who lay the sleepers on the track) organisation also participated in the action. It should be noted that all over the country, loco drivers and rail guards have been fighting for their just demands for years; however the management is not at all serious about resolving their long pending demands
The railway workers raised the following issues and demands during the convention and the rally:
- The Railway Board through its Order No.1/2013/16 on March 25, 2013 has constituted a 5 members committee to review the recommendation of Bhalla Committee on Running Allowance Rate which has been prevalent for past 3 decades. The Joint Action Committee opposes this action of the Railway Board.
- The Railway Board must withdraw its decision on MACP (Modified Assured Career Promotion).
- Presently, the steam engines are being operated by only one loco driver. The demand is for the appointment of an assistant.
- The minutes of the meeting of the Railway Board on the issue of SPAD (Single Passing of Danger) must be implemented.
- The condition of the bogeys and driver’s cabin of goods trains must be improved immediately.
- On promotion of passenger train loco pilot to mail train loco pilot, they must be given one wage increment, and same must be done for promotion from passenger train guard to mail train guard.
- All vacancies in loco and traffic must be filled
- Appointments of cadres must be made according to the extension/ increase in rail services.
- Loco and Traffic Running Staff are very angry about the long hours of work.
- They were angry that they are not given adequate time for checking the condition of railway equipments and filing proper reports for eg., they have to issue VPC (Vaccum Power Certificate), GDR (Guard Driver Report) etc. In such situations, they are forced to overlook unsafe condition that can lead to accidents.
- The way the administration resolves accident issues imposes a lot of mental and emotion stress on the workers. They demanded that investigations should not be limited to meting out punishments but should also be to find the cause for such accidents, and taking corrective action.
The report of the High Level Committee which consulted with the AILRSA on the rules regarding hours of work (hours of employment regulation) must be made public