On 16 December a massive rally and demonstration was organized in Nagpur (Maharashtra) under the banner of Mazdoor Union. As per the reports received by Mazdoor Ekta Lehar, the rally proceeded from Yashwant Stadium in Dhantoli to the Vidhan Sabha.Workers from different sectors of industry participated in the rally and the demonstration. The demonstration was led by R G Rajput, President and Hazrat Ali, Secretary of Mazdoor Union.
Number of demands were raised and highlighted during the demonstration:
- All workers must be given at least a minimum wage of Rs.18000 per month
- Labour laws must be strictly implemented
- Contract labour must be abolished and al contact workers must be regularised
- Women workers must be given equal pay for equal work as men, and provision for facilities must be strictly implemented
- Inconsistencies in pension schemes must be removed and all workers must be given Rs.7500 as dearness allowance
- Privatisation of public sector units must be halted and closed units of industries must be reopened
- The price rise must be arrested and workers must be provided all essential items of consumption through the Universal Public Distribution System
- All children must be provided free education along with food, clothing and residential facilities
- The Gratuity Act must be amended to increase number of days to 30 days per year from existing 15 days per year
- Pending court cases must be settled urgently.