More than 10 lakh bank workers went on a strike on 22 August 2017 to oppose the anti-people banking reforms, write-offs of corporate NPAs and increases in banking charges.
The All India action was lead by United Forum of Bank Unions, which includes the All India Bank Employees Association (AIBEA), All India Bank Officers Confederation (AIBOC), Bank Employees Federation of India (BEFI), Indian National Bank Officers Congress (INBOC), National Organisation of Bank Workers (NOBW) and National Organisation of Bank Officers (NOBO).
|New Delhi rally||Hyderabad rally|
The bank workers' unions are demanding:
- Strictly implementation of Parliamentary committee recommendations on recovery of NPAs.
- Withdraw the proposed Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance
- Bill Stringent measures for recovery of bad loans
- Withdrawl of proposed Bank Board Bureau
- Adequate recruitment in all cadres
- Resolution of issues relating to employees.
The bank workers have planned a massive rally in Delhi on 15 Sept 2017 to press for their demands.